Tuesday, May 24, 2011

Who started the "like" epidemic?

Okay, people blame California for the "valley girl" dialect; but I don't think this crazy epidemic could have spread so far, so fast just from one state.

I walked in the park yesterday and overheard a conversation of some middle aged women and one of them said "like" unnecessarily many times. I often find myself doing it as well; especially when I'm nervous. Has the word become another "filler" like "um," and "uh"?

I remember it becoming popular when I was in Jr. High. I don't know why it caught on so quickly and has stayed around so long. It doesn't happen when I write. It just seems to be a speech disease.

What do you think? Do you, like, think it's, like, just a filler? Or is it, like, something else?

No comments:

Post a Comment