Saturday, April 30, 2011

Food likes and dislikes: nature or nurture?

Why is broccoli a difficult food to enjoy? Is it texture? Taste? But some people like broccoli. The question is, do we learn our tastes or are we born with them?

Certain things are associated with experience (ie. I can't eat twizzlers anymore because I ate too many once and threw up all evening). But why are some people more susceptible to hot/spicy foods than others? Some enjoy the heat, for others it is downright painful.

Do our tastebuds stay the same, or do they "learn" in a sense? What do you think?

1 comment:

  1. Learn and I will tell you why. When I moved to Texas, even the most mild salsa would set my mouth on fire. After living there for 7 years I built up a tolerance and can handle most salsas now.
    Also, you have heard Jill and myself discuss how V8 is palatable if you are eating well but is not if you are not. Just something we have noticed.
    P.S. I like broccoli (especially with cheese sauce)

    ReplyDelete